Recognizing Heart Attack Symptoms
During a heart attack, the heart muscle begins to die due to lack of blood flow to it. Symptoms of a heart attack include:
- Pain in the chest, arm or below the breast bone
- Fullness, indigestion or choking feeling (may feel like heartburn)
- Nausea, vomiting or dizziness
- Extreme weakness
- Shortness of breath
- Rapid or irregular heart beats
During a heart attack, symptoms last 30 minutes or longer and are not relieved by rest or oral medications. Initial symptoms can start as a mild discomfort that progresses to significant pain.
Women may also experience these symptoms:
- Unusual chest pain, stomach or abdominal pain
- Vomiting or dizziness
- Unexplained anxiety, weakness or fatigue
- Palpitations, cold sweat or paleness
If you are having chest pain or other symptoms, call 911 immediately.